Have you ever made a big salad for lunch thinking you’ll cut down on calories for that day but then half an hour later you’re scouring your workplace for food? Have you ever grabbed a slice of bread as a snack to tide you over until dinner yet 2 – 3 slices of bread later you’re still hungry? I find the most filling foods either have a lot of protein, fiber and/or water content. Salad does not fill me up and I could eat half a loaf of bread in one sitting and I’d still be munchy. Here is a list of my favorite anti-hunger snack foods.
1. Celery with peanut butter and raisins. Peanut butter has protein to keep you satisfied and raisins add a bit of sweetness.
2. Corn on the cob. Only 155 calories an ear.
3. Fruit salad. Cut up all your favorite fruits and put them in a huge salad bowl and keep it in the fridge. Fresh fruit is full of nutrients, water and natural sweetness to satisfy you.
4. Cool whip. You won’t believe this but cool whip has only 25 calories and 1.5 g of fat per serving! I even like it better than ice cream. For dessert I usually have strawberries topped with cool whip and a little drizzle of chocolate sauce.
5. Oatmeal. I believe breakfast is the most important meal of the day so start it off with a bowl of oatmeal. It’s quick to make, comes in a variety of flavors and is very filling.
6. Apples. This fruit is great to take for lunch or as a snack after work.
7. Pickles. Perfect for when you’re craving something crunchy and refreshing.
8. Popcorn. Air-popped popcorn is only 31 calories a serving. You could have 3 cups of popcorn for under 100 calories! These types of snacks are great when you are looking for a large quantity of food for a low amount of calories that you can snack on for a while.
9. Mozzarella and tomato. Top fresh, ripe tomatoes with a little mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with olive oil. Delicious.
10. Eggs. Scrambled, poached, sunny-side up or hard-boiled; eggs are a great source of protein.
Just a reminder; do not be afraid of fat as long as you watch your portion size. This is what keeps you feeling full and satisfied.